Sunday, August 11, 2013

Egg Harvesting and the Bionic Baby?

The last week has been a blur of activity in preparation for my egg retrieval- it feels like things are moving so quickly. Last Sunday, I did my first Bravelle injection, and in the past week, I've done 4 more injections, 5 more doses of Clomid, 4 monitoring appointments, 3 doses of Syranel nasal spray, and am now preparing for my egg retrieval - TOMORROW!


I likely have 6 good eggs, which I am really thrilled about.  I hope that all of them are mature, and fertilize! Typically, with Mini IVF cycles, the egg retrieval protocol is to use Valium in addition to local anesthesia. Because I am terrified of pain, this is the thing that most worried  me about this entire process. Today, the nurse gave me the option of general anesthesia, which is commonplace in conventional IVF cycles, and because I have so many follicles, recommended in my case. It's expensive - $500, but given my fear and the  pain factor  the thought was appealing. Also, they pushed my retrieval back from 10:10am - 12:10pm to give the eggs a little extra bit to mature, which means that with DH's travel schedule, he won't be able to be there. All factors considered, I decided to do the  general anesthesia. Knock me out, I say!

DH and I have tried to keep a sense of humor about things. It's how we operate in daily life, and IF is no different. Yesterday when we were at the  RE there were a couple of women waiting to hear how their embryos were developing. One woman had been talking to the nurse and then came back to the  other. "Welp, 6 of 'em bit the dust right away, but the rest are hanging in there." LOL. Maybe it sounds  crass, but honestly, I appreciate folks that find things to laugh about in all of this. DH and I got to talking and joking about everything. We aren't going to call our baby our little bean or anything similar. We will probably call it our little automaton. Maybe the middle name will be Petri. We can tell people that DH was out of the country when our baby was conceived and let them think about that one....

I'm nervous. I'm exhausted. I'm ready to get this show on the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment